« All Events
Tax Deadlines for Employers
- Deadline for employers to mail out Form W-2 to employees and submit copies to the Social Security Administration (SSA). There is no extension for filing electronically.
- Provide copies of 2018 Forms 1099-MISC, “Miscellaneous Income,” to recipients of income from your business where required.
- If filing Form 1099-MISC and reporting amounts in BOX 7: Nonemployee Compensation, then you will need to submit a copy to the IRS on this date. If Box 7 is empty, you may file with other information returns on February 28.
- Deadline for self-employed individuals to file Form 1040 and pay any tax due to avoid a penalty for not making the 4th quarter estimated tax payment by January 15, 2019.
- File Form 940, “Employer’s Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return,” for 2018. If your undeposited tax is $500 or less, you can either pay it with your return or deposit it. If it’s more than $500, you must deposit it. However, if you deposited the tax for the year in full and on time, you have until February 11 to file the return.
- File Form 941, “Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return,” to report Medicare, Social Security and income taxes withheld in the fourth quarter of 2018. If your tax liability is less than $2,500, you can pay it in full with a timely filed return. If you made timely deposits in full payment of your taxes for the quarter, you may file by the 10th day of the second month that follows the end of the quarter - February 11, 2019. (Employers that have an estimated annual employment tax liability of $1,000 or less may be eligible to file Form 944,“Employer’s Annual Federal Tax Return.”)
- File Form 945, “Annual Return of Withheld Federal Income Tax,” for 2018 to report income tax withheld on all nonpayroll items, including backup withholding and withholding on accounts such as pensions, annuities and IRAs. If your tax liability is less than $2,500, you can pay it in full with a timely filed return. If you deposited the tax for the year in full and on time, you have until February 10 to file the return.